OUR SPRING EVENT IS ON DECK
We expect to hit it ‘out of the park’ at our baseball-themed spring gala on Sunday, April 29th at Cold Spring Country Club. Honorees include John C. Tsunis, Esq., and Susan Lustig and Family. The event, which will be held from 11am to 2pm, will feature a gourmet brunch, exciting auctions and raffles, and plenty of baseball memorabilia. Stay tuned for more information on our biggest fund-raiser of the year, but remember to Save the Date!
A SEASON OF SUCCESS!
Before we look ahead, it is important to look back at some of the recent programs and initiatives accomplished by The Lend A Hand Project in order to fulfill our mission of giving. Remember that the “season of giving” may be over, but the reason for giving never ends!
- Thanks for Not Coming! Thanks to the generosity of our many supporters of the “Uninvitation” initiative, The Lend A Hand Project was able to send every Recipient a gift card to ensure that every Thanksgiving holiday table was bountiful.
- Holiday Gift Drive: For Chanukah and Christmas, the organization partnered with Dix Hills Jewish Center, Huntington Jewish Center, South Huntington Jewish Center, Temple Beth Torah, Temple Isaiah, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, and the staff at Old Navy in Commack. Through their combined efforts gifts were sent to nearly 300 children. Ellen Acosta and Debbie Biederman coordinated the children’s requests so that each child received his or her desired gifts.
- Our Youngest Supporters: The Lend A Hand Project is proud that several Bar and Bat Mitzvah children have chosen to participate in our Sponsorship program to fulfill their community outreach responsibilities. Half Hollow Hills High School West and Half Hollow Hills High School East Honor Societies have also become Sponsors. A shout out to 10-year-old Lily, who collected bracelets, rings and necklaces and packaged them as birthday gifts for 25 girls in our program.
- Coal-Fired Support: Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza in Woodbury donated a percentage of their profits from one month late in 2017 for diners who identified themselves as Land A Hand supporters. That initiative raised $400 to help our Recipient families!
- Huntington Hills Rehabilitation Center: Our “New Vision Committee,” has created a program for nursing home patients who have no assets or family support. The program will provide a monthly stipend for these residents to allow them to purchase much-needed personal items and services. The goal is to expand this program to other facilities in the coming months.
- Go To A Cabaret and Support The Cause: Risa Finkel, an accomplished performer, will be entertaining in “Cabaret Under Glass” at Scarsella’s Flowers in Laurel Hollow on April 6, 7, 13, and 14. Proceeds will benefit various children’s charities. Please mention The Lend A Hand Project when purchasing tickets to ensure that your presence will benefit LAHP.
- Amazon Smile: Remember when you shop on Amazon Smile, The Lend A Hand Project receives a percentage of every one of your purchases. Sign up at Smile.Amazon.com. There is no cost to you. Use your current Amazon sign in and select The Lend A Hand Project to support when you register for the first time.
- Grant From the Gap: The Lend A Hand Project recently received a matching grant from the corporate offices of Gap and Old Navy!
- Making a Difference: As organizations recognize the compelling work that The Lend A Hand Project does—and the impact it makes— LAHP is receiving more and more referrals. From a grateful Recipient: “It’s not easy to accept help when you are down on your luck. The Lend A Hand Project connected us with the most amazing Sponsor family. Their incredible generosity has helped put food and presents on the table for the kids. If they weren’t there to help, our days would be very cold. We are so grateful.”
- We Need Sponsors! If you—or someone you know—is interested in becoming a Sponsor, please contact our Case Manager, Ellen Acosta, or Executive Director Andrew Levy, at 631-486-6636.
Watch your e-mail for PIZZA TUESDAYS IN MAY at Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza in Woodbury.